Clan Fraser of Lovat traces its heritage from Sir Simon Fraser, brother of Sir Alexander Fraser, Robert the Bruce's Chamberlain. Simon acquired the Bisset Lands around Beauly when he married its heiress and these lands became the family home. A record from 1367 describes Hugh Fraser as "Lord of the Lovat and portioner of Ard", the first known connection the Frasers had with Lovat land. By 1422 the Frasers of Lovat had extended their lands to include Stratherrick by Loch Ness, together with part of Glenelg. Although the exact date of creation is uncertain, sometime between 1456 and 1464, Hugh Fraser was raised to the peerage as Lord Lovat or Lord Fraser of Lovat. Around 1511, the 5th Lord Hugh Fraser of Lovat established his seat at Castle Fraser, which is now owned by Historic Scotland since 1971. Around the middle of the 18th century, Sir Simon Fraser, the 11th Lord Lovat was the third son of the 7th Lord Lovat. He captured and married the widow of the 10th Lord Lovat by drowning her squeals and screams by way of pipers. For this reason he was known as the Fox. Castle Fraser was therefore left abandoned with no male heir for nearly two centuries until 1962 when a rightful heir was located. During the spring of 1962, Clan Fraser made a last minute attempt to keep Castle Fraser in Fraser hands, but the plan failed as the heir refused Castle Fraser, as he was an American citizen. In the early part of the 19th century, Beauly Castle was constructed as the new seat of Lord Lovat for descendants of the 11th Lord Lovat. Beauly Castle is no longer owned by Clan Fraser, however it still stands in all its glory.
Members who have Clan Fraser of Lovat Heritage:
Paul Fraser & Willard Fraser